La Convention des Etudiants Européens
Les prises de position
THE CONVENTION OF EUROPEAN STUDENTS
Following these two positions, before meeting in Rome on the occasion of the Second Assembly in July 2003, the Convention of European Students has decided to take a third position on the debate concerning the draft articles on the EU institutions proposed by the Presidium.
1) Insists on the necessity that the President of the European Council assume no other function than chairing this institution and that, consequently, sub-paragraph 1b of article 16a (" On issues concerning its common and security policy he shall ensure that the Union at his level is effectively represented in the wider world ") be removed.
2) Recommends that the expression " Second Chamber " be used to name the Council of Ministers in its legislative function, and that its legislative, executive and coordination functions be more distinguished.
3) Wishes the steps on the way to nominate the President of the Commission (article 18a, paragraph 1) be " reversed " : the President of the European Commission should be elected by the European Parliament, by a majority of its members. The President of the European Commission should be approved on a qualified-majority basis by the European Council.
4) Suggests that the number of commissioners not be fixed, notably to reinforce the power of the President of the European Commission, who would, hence, be more autonomous to choose the composition of the Commission.
5) Disapproves of the creation of a Congress of the Peoples of Europe,
unless it be for the sole purpose of revising the future Constitution.
© Sciences Po/IEP de Paris - 2002 - http://conventioneuropeenne.sciences-po.fr